Match Report – Sunday 17th December 2023

The Flyers entertained the Devils for the first time this season and were still without the injured trio of Fynn Page (who did take the warm up), Johan Eriksson and Ben Hawerchuk. A late scratch from the Flyers line up was also Anthon Eriksson. The Devils started Ben Bowns in net and they were without Josh Waller who left their game the previous night. Also missing were Joey Martin and Cody Donaghey.

The Flyers got the first chance of the game after 30 seconds when Kyle Osterberg tested Ben Bowns. The Devils responded with Cole Ully in the high slot but his shot was gloved by Shane Owen. The Flyers opened the scoring in the 4th minute when Bowns had difficulty with a bobbling puck and Max Humitz was on hand to dispatch it into the net. Flyers were again on the ascendancy when they broke 2 on 1 in the 9th minute with Humitz and Collin Shirley and the former had a shot that was sticked away by Bowns. Humitz was next to threaten in the 14th minute with Bowns using his blocker this time to stop the Flyer. A minute later and Vitalijs Pavlovs found the puck in the slot but Bowns made the stop.  Moments later and the Flyers got their second goal when Casey Gilling snapped the puck past Bowns on his stick side. The Devils almost got a goal back when Josh Batch feathered a shot through a crowd of players in front of Owen who did well to get a piece of the puck to send it into the corner.

The Devils had the first chance after 30 seconds of the second period when Owen did well to deal with a cross crease shot by Trevor Cox. In the 22nd minute the Flyers went on the first powerplay of the game and they had a couple of good looks with the best coming from Lucas Chiodo but Bowns was alert to make the stop. It was a pretty even game but the best of the chances were falling to the Flyers and Osterberg rattled one off the mask of Bowns before the puck was then deflected inches wide of his net. Cardiff got back into the game in the 34th minute when they converted on an odd man rush with the puck being fed over to Ben Davies who beat a sprawling Owen. The Devils forecheck was becoming a factor and the Flyers on the long change were pinned in their own end for spells but with a minute left on the clock a vital third goal came the way of the home side. A couple of Flyers went to the net and Collin Shirley got the final touch as at last a favourable bounce of the puck went the way of the Flyers.

The Flyers were first to show on the attack in the third period when James Spence carried the puck deep and his pass was one timed by Lucas Chiodo into the chest of Bowns. A minute later and good work down low by the Fife forwards saw them cycle the puck which ended with a drive from Jonas Emmerdahl being blockered away by the Devils netminder. The visitors went on a powerplay in the 44th minute and the best effort they could muster was from Jamie Arniel who tested Owen with a drive but then from a Flyers clearance, a flipper up the middle of the ice, Osterberg gathered the puck and skated in from the red line and before Bowns could get set he ripped the puck through the five hole to score shorthanded. Fife were now on top and a great hussle by Chiodo saw him win the puck and feed Stephen Desrocher who was up with the play but Bowns made the save. Flyers went back on a powerplay in the 50th minute when Riley Brandt was assessed an interference minor with a hit on Osterberg. It was a short lived man advantage as 25 seconds in the Flyers were called for an infraction and the teams skated 4 on 4. The Devils almost got one back when Brandon Alderson hit a post and they came close again when a rebound from Owen fell on the stick of Chad Pietroniro but he missed the net with the Fife netminder in scramble mode.  With the teams now back at even strength Osterberg dangled the puck past Evan Mosey and Desrocher forced another save from Bowns from the resulting pass.  In the 55th minute Cole Sanford went close but Owen stood tall before the Devils took another penalty. Teemu Pulkkinen tested Bowns which was the Flyers best chance before the Devils returned to full strength. Owen made a great save with two minutes to go when he had to sprawl down low to keep Cole Ully from squeezing the puck in at the post. The Devils thought they had scored a consolation with 27 seconds remaining but the goal was immediately washed out by referee Halas with a Devils player encroaching in the crease.

The Flyers are next at home on Saturday 23rd December when they entertain the Belfast Giants – tickets can be bought online here:  Tickets – Fife Flyers or look out on social media channels for box office opening times.