Match Report – Sunday 8th October 2023

Fife Flyers travelled to Tayside to meet the Dundee Stars and their roster changes saw Reece Harsch and Casey Gilling both come back into the line up and dropping out were Lucas Chiodo, Brady Pouteau, James Spence and Brodie Kay. 16 year old Cameron Kenny was drafted in as back up from the Kestrels. The Stars welcomed back Johnny Walker after his two game suspension. It was a low key start to the game with some scrappy play from both sides but the Flyers were punished after two minutes when they gave up a 2 on 1 break and Tommy Parrottino set up Anthony Rinaldi with Owen having very little chance to get across his goal. Back came the Flyers and it was Johan Eriksson who tested Kevin Carr in the Stars net when he was forced to make a pad save. The visitors got on level terms in the 5th minute when Collin Shirley had time and space in the high slot to slide the puck through a ruck of players. A minute later and the Flyers almost had the lead when a Johan Eriksson shot pinged the post. It initiated a lengthy review before being correctly called as no goal. The Flyers got the first powerplay of the night and in the 11th minute, following some good looks at Carr’s goal, Anthon Eriksson was Johnny on the spot to knock the puck into the net from close range to give the Flyers the lead. A couple of minutes later Kyle Osterberg kept his feet moving to draw a tripping call and from the resultant offensive zone face off Carter Johnson slashed Troy Lajeunesse’s stick to give the Flyers a two minute 5 on 3. The Stars came up big on their kill with Carr only called upon to make a couple of saves. Almost immediately, after getting back to even strength, Parrottino had a breakaway but was denied by a right pad save by Owen. Flyers ended the period with their 4th man advantage of game when Allen was called for cross checking. Anthon Eriksson came closest with just a few seconds remaining when his scrambled effort from close in was stopped by a fantastic leg save by Carr.

In a second period that was dominated by penalties the Flyers went on the powerplay a minute in and couldn’t get anything setup but with only two seconds remaining Anthon Eriksson drove the net and the puck found the twine off his skate. Another review followed and once again the correct outcome was arrived at and the Flyers had a two goal lead. Johnson responded for the Stars when he cut in from the left wing but Owen tracked him as he slid across his crease. Flyers increased their lead when Stephen Desrocher floated the puck high up the centre ice and after Johan Eriksson challenged for it Troy Lajeunesse swatted it high glove on Carr. A scrum in front of Shane Owen’s goal ended up with the goalie being piled on and from that resulted a Stars powerplay with the Flyers goalie, Desrocher and Stars Allen all picking up roughing minors. Stars capitalized with the man advantage to break their duck on their power play this season when Anthony Rinaldi was set up for his second goal of the night. The Stars forward having the whole net to aim for as Shane Owen was dragged out of position. A minute later and Kevin Carr made a solid save on Anthon Eriksson before the Flyers went back on a long 5 on 3 powerplay, their second of the game. Dundee called their time out and once again the Stars penalty killers came up huge to keep it a two goal game. Stars then had their own powerplay which resulted in very little before they ended the period again on the penalty kill but once again Fife failed to get anything set up.

The Stars had the first few chances of the final period and the best of them fell to Rinaldi who was denied by Owen in the splits going post to post.  Stars indiscipline once again hindered their chance to take momentum in the game as Kris Inglis was called on a 5 minute major for boarding Adam Holwell who thankfully managed to skate to the bench under his own steam after being down on the ice for a short spell. A hit that wasn’t necessary and in the numbers. The Flyers created a few chances in the five minute spell, Jonas Emmerdahl rang the post then Carr shouldered a drive from Casey Gilling out of play. After another mammoth kill the Stars went on their own man advantage which the Flyers killed comfortably. A too many men call on the Flyers when they had returned to full strength gave Stars another opportunity but the Flyers kill was on the mark and the teams returned to even strength only for the Stars to get called for an extra skater. The Flyers didn’t need another goal and were careful not to give up anything and played a conservative powerplay leaving the Stars just over two minutes when they returned to full strength to salvage something. Carr was pulled for an extra attacker with two minutes remaining as Fife called their time out and despite the Stars spending most of the remaining time in the Fife defensive zone the Flyers were resolute to run out the clock to record a four point weekend which puts them in a strong position for qualification to the Challenge Cup quarter finals.

The Flyers are next at home on Saturday 14th October when they entertain the Belfast Giants   – tickets can be bought online here:  Tickets – Fife Flyers or look out on social media channels for box office opening times.


related articles